Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Visiting the Schools


Every morning at about 6:30 am many children walk past my window in their blue uniforms, chatting and headed to school to the sound of drum beats instead of school bells. The kids are my favorite part of Ghana so far. They are beautiful, and they are so precious to God. In general they have seemed quite timid to approach me, but when I have approached them they are the most welcoming group of people I have ever met. I went over to say hello to a group kids playing in the church lawn and immediately they incorporated me into their game and I found my self running around with them like we were the best of friends. If you ever have self esteem problems, just go hang out with a bunch of Ghanaian children! They will make you feel like the most important person in the world. They are very moldable and they LOVE Jesus.

In America you would not imagine for a second that someone would be able to come into a public school and preach gospel openly in an assembly. But here that is exactly what happens every Wednesday without a problem. All of the children in the 3 primary schools (ages 6-12) of Akropong assemble in the morning for chapel where they sing and dance and hear a message from the minister. Today I had the privilege of being the minister. The school I happened to speak at was actually the first school in Ghana. The only other schools present before this one were for missionary children that came to Ghana with their parents. These children are well behaved, filing into the 200+ person auditorium; but when the music starts they are on fire for God. The leap and dance and wave their hands in the air while singing at the top of their lungs in unreserved passion and adoration that will melt your heart. It is such exuberant worship, I know it must thrill the heart of God. It was so moving when the lead teacher shouted “Yesu Kristo” and all the kids gave a LOUD, long shout of praise jumping and waving their handkerchiefs in the air as if they had just won the World Cup. As their praise roared through the room I am sure heaven could hear the echo.

Currently the school is trying to raise enough money to build on an addition to the school for the Junior High School. As of now the children must walk quite a distance to get to the nearest Junior High School. With upwards 40+ children per class, I have a lot of respect for the teachers!  I asked where the funding comes from and my supervisor, Papa Nyarko, told me that it comes from both the church and government as a partnership. It is good to see the church actively supporting the education and development of the community. Akropong was the first town in Ghana to hear the gospel- it is such a privilege to be here and see the fruit of it. About 75-80% of the 10,000 people in the town attend some sort of church, but even in Ghana there are many people who are still in need of discipleship. I have heard the phrase “standing in a garage does not make you a car” and the same could be said for those who attend church in any nation. The church has a wonderful opportunity here to share the gospel with all of the children of the town, and by God’s grace it will take root in their lives and they will experience the love, joy, peace, and transformation power that comes through Christ.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Val-
    What great stories! I am glad to hear of your adventures and to know that you are doing well there. I look forward to reading more as you get more involved in the work there. There are so many opportunities for you all.
    Say hello to Simone and Ronald for me.
    God bless-
    Jewelie :)

    ReplyDelete