Friday, July 1, 2011

They Call Me Yaa Baby

 
In Ghana the day you were born is VERY important. Whichever day of the week you were born on becomes apart of your name. Since I was born on a Thursday, my name is Yaa (Yah). In order to distinguish my name from some of the other Yaa’s I am referred to as Yaa Baby. This came about after a discussion which revealed I was the youngest of my two other colleagues that are here with me. At first I thought it sounded too much like something from Austin Powers, but it has grown on me. Every time I am introduced at a church or school function, my Ghanaian name is also mentioned… and the kinds LOVE it. My name usually brings about a chuckle from the adults and a wild applause and laughter from the children. They tell me that it is funny because usually only really small children and infants are called “baby”. Nearly everyday as I walk down the street I will hear a kid shout “Yaa Baby!” from down the street. It is very endearing and a lot easier to remember than Valerie.

This year my birthday just so happened to fall on a Thursday and I had the joy of celebrating in Ghana. I was informed that to truly celebrate within the cultural norm I would have woken up with a bucket of water on my head… thank goodness that did not happen! But the celebration of life here is truly something special. Birthdays are a big deal, not to be shied away from because they signify the blessing of another year. No one is guaranteed their next year of life, especially in countries where healthcare is less accessible and the living conditions are substandard from countries such as the U.S.. The ability to celebrate your birthday is a testimony of God’s provision for another year. The church truly blessed me this year for my birthday. They showered me with cards, birthday songs, blessings, and a wonderful luncheon in which all of the church staff and elders were invited. Everyone contributed to buy glass bottled soda, a complete meal, and they even baked me a cake! So many wonderful words and prayers were spoken over me, it was truly great. I told them I would have to come back to Ghana every year for my birthday now.

My colleague Simone (who is called Aunti Afua for being born on Friday) told me that she is so blessed by the way this culture celebrates birthdays. She said that they may not be able to buy you an expensive gift, “but they will give you their heart, their whole heart.” I truly resonate with that statement and believe it is a better gift to have community and family rich in love, peace, and joy than all the material presents in the world. Thanks Ghana for a great birthday.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful birthday, Val! Thinking of you and praying for you, friend. Hugs from New Jersey :)

    ReplyDelete